Sunday, September 4, 2011

Near Sighted

I am once again studying the topic of Heaven. I find this subject VERY fascinating, but I have heard from and observed many Christians who could care less about the topic. In fact, go to a Christian book store and find out how many books seek to address the topic. I'm not talking about the warm-fuzzy-feel-good books designed to be idealistic comforts or even "near-death experience" books. I mean books that seek to study what the Bible says so that we can have an accurate theology of Heaven. There will probably be very few, if any at all. But I'm sure you will find MANY on marriage, parenting, dating, finances, etc.

There's not anything wrong with any of these things, but there's a lot more beyond the things of this short life on earth as we know it. Why do Christians think, "I already know I'm going there. I'll learn about it when I die," when the subject of Heaven is brought up? Really? If you were to take a vacation to Germany, would you really say, "I don't need to research. I guess I will just find out everything I need to know when I get there?"

Heaven is our home. Furthermore, it is GOD'S home. Everything in Heaven points to God. Get to know Heaven so you can get to know God! Heaven is meant to make us excited by its very design! I firmly believe that if we have a correct view of Heaven, it will change our lives right now. The struggles of this earth won't bother us so much, because we will realize that they are temporal. We will tell others about Jesus, because we want them to experience what we will experience! Life will be better!

I have a verse that sums it all up:
"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth."
                                                                                         -Colossians 3:2

We can't be so near sighted that we only focus on this life. We need to have 20/20 vision and see what's in the distance. There are so many exciting things ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment