Wednesday, May 1, 2013

God Can Use Introverts


Introverts, have you ever wondered how in the world God could use someone like you to minister in the local church?

I admit that I often struggled with that thought. I have noticed a number of articles about introversion recently, and would like to give my two cents as a "survivor" of introversion. I am currently what many would call a "learned extrovert." Meaning, I can fake being an extrovert when I need to, but I am still very introverted through and through.

I grew up as a typical awkward, shy, nerdy beanpole of a kid. I had a few close friends that I confided in, but beyond them I tried to stay away from small talk, crowds, public speaking, and being in the spotlight. Even today, I freak out inside and get stressed whenever I engage in small talk with anyone outside my circle of close friends. So when I sensed the Lord calling me to full-time youth ministry, I seriously wondered if God had mixed up my number with someone else's.

I looked around at the people I admired in my church. Most were very outgoing and relational. In college, the ministry students who were the most outgoing and unreserved were the ones that were recognized as the great future leaders. While I had an intense passion and zeal for ministry, I felt hopeless when comparing myself to the believers around me.

When I began looking for a ministry position, I also found how many people think that a youth pastor can ONLY be an extrovert. I once had a great conversation with a pastor, but something changed when I later mentioned that I was a natural introvert. I stated that I was looking for an extroverted senior pastor to team up with and disciple me. Then, he gave me a questioning look that said, "It's hopeless. You'll never make it in ministry."    

So is that it? If you happen to be an introvert, you are disqualified from ministry? Let me prove all those people wrong.


I found great comfort in studying the life of Moses. When God called him to become a great leader, he sinfully resisted and made excuses. He said, "Lord, send someone else, I am not equipped to do what you have called me to do." "I am not the type of person you need, Lord. You need someone who is eloquent, personable, and dynamic to be your great leader." "I am not eloquent."

How did God respond? "Then the Lord said to him, 'Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.'” (Exodus 4:11-12, ESV)
So God was telling Moses, "I made you this way. I don't want someone else, I want to equip YOU. I will always be there with you to help you." And God did just that. He equipped Moses for the task ahead of Him. Although flawed, Moses was a great leader!

I am fully convinced that God uses people with perceived "weaknesses" so that He can be better glorified in the end. When you see me preaching, engaging in small talk, talking to a stranger, or teaching, God gets the glory. Why? Because that is not ME.

GOD CAN USE YOU TOO

Not every person will be able to overcome the fear of people. For some people, this is a deep-rooted legitimate FEAR. What are some ways that introverts can minister in the local church? And, believe me, I personally know A LOT of introverts in the local church.  

1) Excel in behind-the-scenes work.
We introverts do not like to be in the spotlight. It is uncomfortable and just feels “fake.” So talk to your pastor. There are many behind-the-scenes things that need to be done in every church, and very few people are willing to do them because they won’t get public recognition. No public recognition? Sounds great to me! Let me at it! Introverts can take these tasks, do them excellently, and glorify God by doing the work of the ministry. This is not a “lesser” role than a high-profile one. It is just as essential.   

2) Analyze, strategize, and plan.
Often, introverts are able to see a ministry from a different perspective. While extroverts can view how the ministry is growing in the aforementioned “social” areas, introverts can come up with realistic and very creative strategies. They are often more sensitive to the general “feel” of the ministry too. Develop a close relationship and trust your pastor or other ministry leaders. Offer your ideas. Give them ministry updates as a member of those ministries.

3) Mentor someone.
Use your introversion to your advantage. Instead of being someone you’re not in front of a large group, develop one or two meaningful relationships where you can guide a new or weaker believer in his or her Christian walk. You will never have an “I need a bigger and better group” mentality. You can make a huge impact on someone’s life instead of having a small impact on many lives.

4) Study.
Introverts often thrive and get an adrenaline rush when they are studying, researching, and discovering meaningful truths. I feel that every time I organize my thoughts on my little blog here. Dive right into God’s Word and great books. But then have a creative way to communicate that to others. Write a blog. A newsletter. Tell a friend. Start a small Bible study. Teach a small Sunday School class [gasp!]. You’ll be surprised what your abilities are when you communicate something you love. You’ll talk their ears off.  

5) Be an essential half of a team.
Find a person who is more extroverted than you, then team up with them to tackle a ministry. You are going to see things differently at times, but respect each other’s viewpoints and act on them. Both personalities are equally valid, but are only on half of a whole. If you look at some of the most successful companies out there, you will see a trend at the top. Usually the extrovert, the CEO, gets the spotlight. But there is almost always a partnership with an introvert who chooses to remain in the shadows. Take away either of them, and the dynasty crumbles. It is the same with any ministry team. If it is comprised entirely of introverts OR extroverts, it will not be as effective as its potential.
  
AN INTROVERTED... PASTOR???

What about PASTORS? Can a good pastor be introverted? ABSOLUTELY! I recently read about the differences between extroverted and introverted pastors. Keep in mind that these are generalizations. Here they are:

EXTROVERTED PASTOR: He has a very high profile. He is usually well known for his amazing sermons that keep his members captivated through his enthralling personality and range of emotion. He receives positive energy from being in front of people or being in large groups. He is able to connect with almost any person in a very short amount of time. Most of his stress comes from dealing with issues, one-on-one counseling, and the time constraints of preparation. He is very effective in evangelism, preaching, motivation, delegation, and encouraging his congregation.

INTROVERTED PASTOR: He tries to keep a lower profile and does much of the behind-the-scenes work. His sermons aren’t always flashy or elegant, but they are painstakingly studied out, deep, and prepared. He receives positive energy from studying, counseling, strategizing, and planning. It takes more time for him to develop relationships, but when he does, those relationships are very deep and meaningful. Negative stress comes mostly from being in the spotlight, preaching, and being in large groups of people. He is very effective in teaching, discipleship, patience, listening, and following through with a vision.

Chances are, your pastor fits into one of these two categories. Both are very effective at what they do. I have seen the Lord bless MANY ministries led by pastors who are the most awkward conversationalists I have ever seen! And if you have two pastors who are different personalities, watch out... amazing things will get done if they work well together!

As an introvert, I am tired of being told that I need to change and be an extrovert. Believe me, I have been told that many times, and it discourages me each time I hear it. Sorry folks, but that is not going to happen no matter how hard I try. I have grown a lot in some of these areas, but I need to realize that God can still use me in a mighty way, just as I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment