Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Clear Goal

                                                                                "Keep your heart with all vigilance,
   for from it flow the springs of life...
Let your eyes look directly forward,
   and your gaze be straight before you.
Ponder the path of your feet;
   then all your ways will be sure.
Do not swerve to the right or to the left;
   turn your foot away from evil."
                       -Proverbs 4:23, 25-26

This passage really made me think. On the first read-through, it is easy to reason, "Does this mean that if I set a goal that is honoring to God, it will be accomplished?" But there's a problem: I have had MANY God-honoring goals that were never accomplished. So what does this mean?

This is not a focus on MY path and MY goals, but God's. What is the path I am walking down? Is it the one that God wants me on? When I am walking on God's path, with my eyes fixed on Christ, all my ways are going to be established. It will ALWAYS turn out for the best (even if it is not what I would choose). There will be many opportunities and temptations to branch off this path, but I must keep my eyes on the goal of Christlikeness, and He will bring me where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment